Thursday, October 11, 2012

Melbourne

MELBOURNNNEEEE! Pronounced mel-burn to me, and mel-b'n to everyone else/Aussies. It was really a spur of the moment booking. I'd talked to someone (I forget) who told me that I should really go. I'd been keeping an eye on the weather reports and it seemed rainy, which is something I wanted to avoid. Yay for Sydney, right? Sunny all the times. In any case, I was sitting at my university's STA Travel when I decided, YOU KNOW WHAT, IT'S TIME TO DO IT. So without waiting to consult with anyone about going together or anything, I booked my tickets on Jetstar! Then I continued to book my New Zealand trip within the same hour. Hey, where'd all my money go...?
Anyway, that was like Monday, booking for this trip on Friday. I figured hey, I'll go til Tuesday night and skip classes. LOL. Why am I so cool.

Yay, Theta Kappa Phi bag! <3 Thanks again, big sis! Sad thing is it kind of ripped on my way back.. T__T Too full of shopping??...


I arrive at about 10pm and meet Lily, my host for the weekend! She is the good friend of my friend, and I am so thankful to have her house me and take me around! <3 It really made my trip; I don't know if I can say I would have loved Melbourne as much if I wasn't under her care.

In any case, we stopped by a Coles for a bottled drink, and I found this amazing son-of-a-... It's like a 12 pack of TWIX!!  Amazing.


Had my first walk to "home"! Doesn't it already remind you of SF?? Maybe you had to be there.


We spent the rest of the night just planning the whole weekend, then went to sleep! She blew up a huuuge amazingly comfortable air bed for me and gave me plenty of covers.

Next day, got up pretty early (relatively for a vacation) and headed off with her to Bridge Road, which was a new place for both of us. Shopping streetssss!

Right across the street was the great Queen Victoria markets.


Fresh produce every day! The market was huuuge.


Next door was more of a building containing stalls of meats, fish, pastries, cheese, etc...


Boreks! <3 I ordered a cheese & spinach one for only $3. :D It's cheap, I promise.


Friend got the Spicy Lamb... SO GOOD TOO.


Had my first taste of Melbourne coffee at this stand! It was already starting to sprinkle though :/


I know it looks ridiculous. I just ordered a shot of espresso with some cold milk on the side.


The borek. :D Woo, macro shot.


YARM YARM so good!


Next, we went to find the tram stop that would have a tram leading us to Bridge Road. Passed by Central Station.


Contains shopping areas! Not cheap though, so SKIP!



Back outside out of the tunnel into... cloudy skies. I believe this is a library....


FOUND IT!... Actually this wasn't it. LOL. But look how cool! Sometimes at the top, it'll have a screen that updates you how many minutes your particular tram is from the stop. :)


Flinders Street Station! This is my singing-in-the-rain pose, I guess. :9


Gorgeous, isn't it?


Turns out the tram is pretty expensive. -__- But they don't have a person checking your ticket right when you enter. You basically scan your card when you get on and off, or if you don't have a card, you can buy a ticket on the tram by machine. $7 for an all day pass, $4 for a 2 hour pass. That's... expensive. So I hopped on without paying and basically did that throughout my Melbourne trip. :( I know, how could I? I stayed by the ticket machine in case a checker boarded, but luckily no one did. I just avoided everyone's eyes and pulled out my map to look like a complete tourist. HAHA.. they weren't fooled, I'm sure...



Tried a couple things on....Cotton on was having a massive sale. Dress = $10, shoes = $5. New outfit for $15!... Don't hurt me.


I always feel bad for taking pictures of food on display, then the guy's like :D and after I'm done, I'm like ... ^^;; I'LL BE BACK.. I'LL BE BACK....... I didn't go back. :(


The strangest thing I think I've ever put on. It wasn't a dress, but a romper. Those are shorts where my hand is. But it was purple... .__. No, I didn't buy this.


After a couple hours, we decided it was finally time to feed ourselves. We landed on this Vietnamese restaurant that seemed pretty promising. Actually it didn't seem promising, but we were tired and it seemed cheap. No one else was eating there. LOL.

Drip coffee, condensed milk!



Not as good as ones I've had elsewhere, but it's good to taste it again.


Back to Federation Square! Flinders Street Station (from before) is right on the right of this photo. 


Take a picture with all the uniformed people! I look like I photoshopped myself into this picture, our bodies are so out of proportion. His partner was inside the carriage eating McDonald's. xD


Frozen yogurt, why not? What's up with the limited selection of toppings though? Go Cali! I actually haven't seen frozen yogurt ANYWHERE in Sydney, as noted by others also.



Entrance to Chinatown in the city.



Went back home and prepared for a night of clubbing! Woo, Saturday nights! We were meeting her friend to go to a club called Spice Market. I brought my typical tube-top black dress because she'd mentioned clubbing, and was going to wear my furry combat boots with it, but she had me change into her spare black dress and convinced me to wear my new $5 open toed heels. She let me borrow her awesome coat and purse! I sound really unprepared... x)


Got to her friend's place, which was THE MOST GORGEOUS APARTMENT I'VE EVER BEEN IN, and they decided I needed to curl my hair... and put on lipstick. So here it is.


Ready!


Had the most amazing time! I think I took on like 5 different personas with different names, ages, likes/dislikes, and time of departure from Melbourne. HAHA. To a creepy guy: Oh sorry I'm leaving tomorrow! No use giving you my number. I would list all my lies, but I realized that made me seem really bad. XD... I swear they do it too... Yes, I watch The Pickup Artist.

Cabbed it home and.. fell out of the cab pretty hard. >< This is a shot of my knees CLEANED UP from all the dripping blood. LOL. I'm fine. Thanks Lily for an amazing job!


Next day... woke up feeling pretty horrible. Still got up by noon though! Actually I think we were out the door by 10 or 11. Game face, on!


To DFO we go! What's DFO stand for? Direct Factory Outlet! Wait, you mean you just went shopping AGAIN?! ... Yes. :) Don't worry, there was sight seeing though. Picked up a boba from the typical Chatime in the city.


Front view of Flinders Street Station. We go inside, through a tunnel to come out the other end to DFO.


Sat down at Federation Square enjoying light music and the sun... while feeling better from the previous night's alcohol. XD And enjoying our boba. Apparently it is a central meeting place for locals. :)


Crossed the bridge to come across this view.



I love Melbourne for its wonderful architecture and colorful buildings!!


For rent bicycles! 


 Not as beautiful as Darling Harbor or such, but still... <3


Melbourne Aquarium.


Artsy fartsy stuff. :3


YAY, GRAFFITI WALL!


Gelato stand near the hotel.


There wasn't much in this building, we just crossed it because it was cold outside. But there were rooms to auditoriums I believe, where people would host events there.


Cute trams!


Yay look at that cutie on the phone! <3


Oh yes... These shoes were going at amazing prices! Novo, not a bad brand either! I didn't buy any because I was controlling myself, but....


These were seriously on my list. I first saw them and didn't think much, but Lily tried them on and they were SO COOL. Basically tan wedges, and I was actively looking for black wedges, but I love tan. They'd go with everything! Sad thing was that Lily got the last pair in our size, and the size higher was a bit too loose. The bigger pair was the last in stock also, and a lady who was stalking my shoe took it away from me to try them on. I stalked her back and tried them on myself finally. Didn't work out. : ( Only $15.


But Lily bought $300+ worth of shoes for $70~. AWESOMENESS. Look at that happy face!


Speaking of which, check out this awesome song she showed me! Called Buy My Love by Wynter Gordon. See, it's relevant. :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhEPLCF-SHg

Crown hotel. So classy it reminds me of Vegas inside.


Had an awesome iced coffee at the food court cafe. I guess Australia's just super into putting ice cream in your iced coffees! Makes up for the price, that's f'sho...


Had a chicken and avocado panini!


Food court.



Street performer! He wasn't bad! Kinda cute :)


Went home and quickly got ready for the night's event... a boys show! I had no idea what that meant until Lily told me, but it's basically... a stripper show. Took a bunch of pics but I'll try to keep it rated PG13 on this blog...

Taxi-ed it to Chapel Street.


It was basically a bar/club/stage, so a little bit of each. This is at Red Beni's... or something.


Room full of keen women..


Shirtless muscle men walking around serving drinks! Do I look shy or what?


Free drinks upon entry! Most interesting tasting drinks I've ever had...


Fire shows!.. Kind of.


HAHAHA... In shock. I feel the palest I've ever felt in Australia.


Top Gun performance.


Made me want to watch Magic Mike by the end of the show!


Next day I aimed to trek to Chapel Street and St. Kilda... got lost along the way, but it was beautiful anyway. Here's St. Kilda Street.


Chapel street! Wait, shopping AGAIN?! Yes. Stop judging me .___. 


Found a store that I loved! Here are the pieces I tried on.

Loved this, bought it. LOL. I've always loved huge sweaters!


Light camo tank... got this also. LOL.


On the track of huge sweaters, but didn't get this. The receptionist girl was wearing this actually... it was awkward putting this sweater back like I didn't like it. XD


Yellow tank was too plain, but I liked the black cardigan! It's really warm. Man, my hair looks so brown from all my phone pics. :/


Next store! Oh, me and stripes... I went in with an XL because it's one of those tight sweaters, and came out looking for a different one because the shoulders were weird. Store girl was like YOU NEED A SMALL! That made my day. :D I can be superficial that way, yes.


Dotti, I think this store was. Tried this dress on for fun. Way over my budget, but I wanted to see how it looked on me. LOL. No harm in trying things on. :D What do you think? How about for $50? That's what I thought.


$50 sun cotton dresses now for $19! Now... blue? Or...


Orange? Guess what I took home.


 After Chapel Street, I went on a trek west towards St. Kilda again. The journey was so beautiful! I seriously loved it so much. It actually reminds me of Ocean Ave. in SF.


Fawkner Park.


Caught a tram finally! Pulled out my map and pretended to look really lost again. Bad thing was that the guy next to me (who looked like half a bum) was like AAYYY YOU LOOK LOST, which pulled the attention of everyone on the tram to me. I felt like pulling the "I don't speak-a English" card, but decided to just be truthful. The journey was so extra long and painful... but finally I was like OKAY THANKS K BYE and ran off. The guy was truly helpful though. :( I was just too stressed out to enjoy the ride.

Now doesn't this remind you of Geneva near CCSF?


Had the most AMAZING cappuccino ever! St. Kilda is said to have the most amazing cafes, so I had to try it! Took this tram back to the city to meet Lily for dinner!


CHIN CHIN! Brilliant fusion Thai food!


Kingfish sashimi? BRILLIANT. Just... so good.




We just ended up painting our nails back at home :D Great night.

Woke up the next morning to take the tourist shuttle! It's free, can you believe it?



Dockland's had an outlet...






Definition of lawlz.


HERE YOU GO LILY! I took a picture with a uniformed policeman!


Lunch at Lygon St.



Hazelnut and Honey crumble gelato.... it was heaven. I know what heaven is like.


Just gonna slip these in here... 9_9



THAT'S IT. FINALLY. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment